Saturday, April 25, 2015

If You Feel Too Much, by Jamie Tworkowski

In 2006 Jamie Tworkowski wrote a story called “To Write Love on Her Arms” about helping a friend through her struggle with drug addiction, depression, and self-injury. The piece was so hauntingly beautiful that it quickly went viral, giving birth to a non-profit organization of the same name. Nine years later, To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA) is an internationally-recognized leader in suicide prevention and a source of hope, encouragement, and resources for people worldwide.

Jamie’s words have been shared hundreds of thousands of times online. They’ve shown up on T-shirts and posters and even tattoos. Now, for the first time, Jamie’s writing is available in the form of a book. If You Feel Too Much is a celebration of hope, wonder, and what it means to be human. From personal stories of struggling on days most people celebrate to offering words of strength and encouragement in moments of loss, the essays in this book invite readers to believe that it’s okay to admit to pain and it's okay to ask for help. If You Feel Too Much is an important book from one of this generation’s most important voices.

  • Hardcover: 208 pages
  • Publisher: Tarcher (May 26, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0399176497
  • ISBN-13: 978-0399176494

  •  
    My take:
    When Literary & Lifestyle Publicity emailed me and kindly asked me to read and review Jamie's book "If you Feel Too Much" I gladly and quickly accepted, for numerous reasons; the main reason being that I suffer as well.  As a consumer with mental illness I can surely relate to the excerpt sent to me regarding the book.  I was anxious to get the book.  Upon receipt of the book I started reading all the enclosed materials, book bio, author interview, etc.  I was stoked to start reading.  Unfortunately, I was not as excited once I got into the meat and potatoes of the book.  This was a book of Jamie's story. His experiences with people. His stories about helping others with their struggles. and helping people on their journeys to recovery.  As a consumer I was not motivated.  I guess in my mind I had some hope that I would be fueled to do something, feel hope, recover quicker, etc.   I understand what Mr. Tworkowski was trying to convey with the book. But the delivery was weak.  Random chapters about random events.  Some were meaningful; I can agree with that.  But the reader felt disconnected to the author and his experiences.  I could not connect with the people mentioned in this book.  I stuck with the book however.  Read it cover to cover.  In the end I was pretty disappointed with the delivery.  The book MEANING had so much potential.  One last note...I believe this book was written to plug his website TWLOHA.  If you have something good to say, interesting to hear, and a story well-written, then there is no need for a plug. No need to try to get more viewers.  Just my honest review here.
    I was not paid money for this review. Just my time and my review.  If you want to check out the book for yourself you can here:

    click to purchase from amazon

    No comments:

    Post a Comment