Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Twisting My Kaleidoscope, by Shannon Love *******BOOK TOUR!*******

A ticket into the world of psychosis. Our author carefully places you in an enchanted bubble, transiting you from one scene to the next. As you position yourself to view what best suits you, she unbars the door to her therapy sessions, uncovers the blanket of her thoughts, unlocks the key to her journal, and extends temporary access to her physical being. Imagine this impervious bubble, imprisoning you from the moment you choose to indulge-your desperate cries for release denied until an end is reached. Absolved from such a captivity, you can close the book when exhaustion hammers at your head and anxiety stabs your chest. This luxury evades the psychotic. Instead, she is forced to trek the turbulent terrain in its entirety.
  • Paperback: 302 pages
  • Publisher: Outskirts Press (April 27, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1478755504
  • ISBN-13: 978-1478755500

  • click for purchase

     
     

    Biography

    After growing up in rural Alabama as a stable and contented youngster, I married my childhood sweetheart and joined him in a life of travel and adventure. His job, combined with our enterprising natures, established us in a nomadic lifestyle that we enjoyed thoroughly. Within our first ten years of marriage, our family grew from two members to five. Refusing to slow down, our kids simply adapted, assembling into each of the five states in which we resided, as well as our years abroad, when we lived in Spain, Angola, and China.

    Then--as life sometimes does--it placed a detour directly in my path. Unsympathetic to my location or circumstances, Mother Nature tinkered with my neurotransmitters while we were living in Beijing, and thus, fate sent me to a new destination --the world of psychosis, a place far more alien than any I had yet visited. Hijacked by happenstance, I was pulled out of my sane world and transported to a bizarre planet filled with hallucinations and delusions.

    Fortunately, friends and family grasped arms and held me tight, preventing me from falling into ruin. Now, once again happy, healthy, and stable, I pay it forward by sharing my intimate and unsettling story. I hope that my words will help erase the stigma attached to these diseases that toy with our minds and torment our emotions.

    Although I refuse to be ashamed of my illness and choose to stand tall--stating boldly, "My name is Shannon Love, and I have a severe mental illness," it is not my only identity. As a mom and wife, I adore my husband, two sons, and daughter. As a regular gal, I look forward to lunch dates with my girlfriends, and as a creative thinker, when I'm not writing, I enjoy dabbling in watercolors, acrylics, and clay. Confessing my inadequacies, I profess that my words paint a far better picture than does my brush. With that said, I also admit to singing in the shower, although I am known to be tone-deaf.

    author page

    My review:
    A book ANYONE should read...Shannon's world living with her mental illness.  Mrs. Love does a great job explaining her psychosis, her thought patterns, and her treatments.  Unfortunately, I too suffer from this same disease...bipolar depression.  I can relate to Shannon's story 100%.  I have paranoid thoughts at times and hate taking my medications as well.  So many side effects.  But we know now medication does not cure our diagnoses.  We also need to stay with good therapists, keep with our support system, and never, ever give up!  Great job Shannon!

    AUTHOR INTERVIEW:

    Why did you decide to write it?

    More often than not, I hear the word "psychotic" used as a dirty word.  Those of us who suffer with this particular symptom seem to wear an extra black mark on our shirts.  The stigma attached to mental illness, in general needs to be eliminated.  I believe if people understand psychosis better and realize that those who suffer from it are simply reacting to symptoms, they will perhaps be more empathetic. My memoir offers that opportunity.


    How did you get your book published?

    First I wrote it. Then I rewrote it. After that—you guessed it, I reviewed and revised it multiple times. I also hired Carol Gaskin, an amazing editor, to advise me on what changes I should make.

    Once my book felt finished, I explored which avenue I wanted to take. As I am an unknown author, self-publishing made more sense. After a bit of research I settled with Outskirtspress. I liked their publishing process and that they give me complete control and ownership of my book.


    What types of readers will be interested in your book?

    I wrote my memoir to read like a captivating novel. My intentions were to reach as broad of an audience as possible. That being said, it will most likely appeal to individuals connected to someone who struggles with mental illness. But, any person should be able to relate on many levels. The parts he/she does not relate to I hope will intrigue him/her.


    What is special about your book?  What differentiates it from other books in the same category? 

    I do not hold back. My story is as bona fide and intimate as I could possibly make it without hurting anyone. To get lost in my book is to immerse oneself into psychosis. I would call it a simulation, except—unfortunately—it was not made up.

    Have you published any other books?  Do you plan to publish more?

    This is my first child—my first baby book. I have a trilogy outlined in my computer. The hero suffers from schizophrenia. He's a bit of a martyr, but serves the greater good. I don't want to give away too much yet;-)


    Thank you, Shannon, for letting me read and review your 'baby'!  Great job on your first book!





     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment